Benefits and grants when you’ve been affected by cancer
A cancer diagnosis for you or someone you love can lead to unexpected costs. If you’re unable to work or have to make changes to your lifestyle, it can be expensive. If you’re unable to work, bills can quickly mount up.
Thankfully there are often benefits and grants that you might be entitled to, which can help with some of the financial pressure of cancer.
How we can help with financial support
Our team of expert Benefits Advisors can talk to you about what financial support is available and guide you through the complex benefits system.
We can look at your circumstances like your financial situation, who you live with and what health needs you have, and advise you in detail about any welfare benefits, grants, or other help that you should perhaps be getting.
They can also help with applications, and advise on challenging benefits decisions or with help progressing claims where necessary.
Benefits and entitlements for cancer patients and carers
There are a wide range of benefits and entitlements you may be eligible for if you or someone you love has cancer:
- Help to replace income lost from work, through payments such as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and/or help to top up a low income through payments such as Pension Credit or Universal Credit
- Help to apply for benefits that reflect the extra cost of living with a long-term illness or disability, like Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment
- Help to pay your rent and council tax
- Help to apply for benefits if you are caring for someone, such as Carer’s Allowance
Grants and one-off payments for cancer patients
To help with the costs of living with cancer there are a range of grants and one-off payments available from the government and other organisations. These can include:
- Macmillan Grants which are a one-off payment for those who face extra costs as a result of their cancer diagnosis. It does not have to be re-paid
- Occupation Specific Grants - depending on your current or previous employment there may be specific funds you can access
- There are other one-off grants you may be eligible for depending on your circumstances, and where you live, which go towards the cost of things like transport, heating bills, equipment, clothing or adapting your home to your needs
Contact our Benefits Advice Team
Get in touch with our friendly team who will be able to advise you on how we can help with benefits, grants and financial support. Either use our Ask the Advisor form or call our free Support Line on 0808 808 1010.