We are very excited to share the news that we have secured funding, through two generous donations, to deliver a new Tenovus Cancer Care Counselling Service for people affected by cancer. We are aware that the impact of Covid-19 has been significant for people affected by cancer and the demand for our services continues to grow.
With over 20,000 people diagnosed with cancer in Wales yearly, this is equivalent to one person every 30 minutes being told this life changing news.
The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a re-purposing of NHS resources with a detrimental impact on:
- pre-existing cancer patients: increased anxiety and stress due to delayed and postponed treatments
- people who developed symptoms known to be potential indicators of cancer delayed visiting their GP leading to later diagnosis and less positive outcomes for cancer patients.
For all those with a cancer diagnosis, access to our trained BACP registered counsellors, with their experience in helping people with cancer and the many emotions a diagnosis may cause, is crucial. We will be able to support people to explore their feelings and provide coping strategies during this difficult time. This could include up to 6 one hour video calls or telephone Counselling sessions and virtual group sessions for anybody affected by cancer on a self referral basis
Additionally, we have other support services that may help:-
- Questions about cancer - our experienced nurses can offer advice on diagnosis, treatment, side-effects, and anything else that’s on your mind through our cancer nurse led free phone Support Line on 0808 8080 1010
- Money concerns - advice and guidance can be given by our expert Benefits Advisors
- Access to our 16 Sing with Us choirs providing fun, fulfilment and support through our weekly choir rehearsals