As a valued supporter of Tenovus Cancer Care, I would like to take this opportunity to update you on the measures the charity has put in place to continue to support cancer patients and their loved ones during the Coronavirus pandemic.
While there continues to be an unprecedented level of disruption to daily life in the UK, we are working hard to ensure we are there for the people who need us most.
- Our free nurse-led Support Line remains open to answer questions from cancer patients and indeed anyone affected by cancer. Our experienced nurses can offer advice on diagnosis, treatment, side-effects, and anything else that’s on people’s minds. Just call 0808 808 1010.
- We also have a comprehensive guide to questions about Coronavirus and cancer, which has been put together by the UK’s leading cancer charities under the One Cancer Voice partnership.
- We are also continuing to provide chemotherapy treatments on board our Mobile Support Units, working with the NHS and following the latest official guidance to try and avoid any disruption in treatment for the patients we support.
- Our Benefits Advice Team are working hard for their clients, helping them to navigate the benefits system and claim the maximum amount of money they are entitled to as a cancer patient or carer, which will be especially important during these difficult times.
- Following the Government’s announcements around non-essential travel and social distancing, we were forced to cancel all rehearsals and performances for our Sing with Us choirs until further notice. However, we are now running virtual (online) choirs and these are proving to be a big hit.
These are undoubtedly very challenging times. We have seen a significant decrease in the income coming into the charity with our fundraising events postponed or cancelled, and our 61 charity shops close for business. Now, more than ever, we’re looking for ways we can bring in these vital funds, so that we can continue to be there for cancer patients and their loved ones.
This will only be possible with the hard work of our dedicated staff and volunteers, and the support of the wider community. I can only ask that your support be on-going during these uncertain times, so that we can continue to help people at a time when they need it the most. Thank you.
Tenovus Cancer Care Chief Executive