Why am I needed?
Community is at the heart of everything that we do at Tenovus Cancer Care to help those affected by cancer. Our aim is simple – to deliver a vision where fewer people get cancer and those that do receive equal access to excellent treatment. However, we can’t do this without your help. Our shops in local communities are crucial to us raising vital funds. So, we’d like you to volunteer your time and commitment to help us make a difference.
We need you to lead the shop volunteer team when the manager’s not in work to make sure our customers are getting the best shopping experience possible. It’s all about making sure that the shop’s running smoothly, it looks good and there’s money being made. You’ll also be opening and closing the shop and completing the banking and shop admin as well as stock handling and managing our security processes. So, it really is a role where you’ll get loads of retail management experience.
What will I be doing?
- Opening and closing the shop
- Complete the banking and shop admin
- Communicating with a wide range of people
- Serving customers at the till
- Accepting donations from the public
- Putting goods on display in the shop
- Maintaining high levels of shop standards, presentation, and cleanliness
- Generating add-on sales and Gift Aid conversion through high levels of customer service
- Completing Gift Aid shop paperwork
- Carrying out shop security procedures
- Promoting awareness of the charity and the services that we provide
What skills do I need?
- Leadership experience in a retail environment
- Customer service experience
- Fab communication skills both face to face and over the phone
- You know your way around a shop and how to run it well
- Good numeracy & cash handling skills
- Good admin skills
- You’re really organised and can do more than one thing at a time
How much time do I need to commit?
We’d need you to give around 7.5 hours per week if you can with the possibility to do more if you’d like to. However, we appreciate any time you’d like to give; please let us know this on your application form.
What support will I be given?
- Before starting with Tenovus Cancer Care, we ask that you visit the Shop Management team in the shop so we can both see how the role may suit you.
- Following that the Shop Manager and team will be on hand to advise and help you select products you can use.
- Becoming a volunteer with Tenovus Cancer Care can be a rewarding experience and is certainly invaluable to the charity and its goals.
What benefits can I expect?
- Boost your CV with retail management experience
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
- Access to all internal vacancies
- Access to training
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of our Retail Team
- Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed in line with organisational policy
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re making a vital difference to the work of Tenovus Cancer Care, and in particular the people who access our unique services
Where will I be based?
In your local Tenovus Cancer Care shop
For more information
If you’re over eighteen years old and would like to apply please contact the Shop Manager in your local shop directly or alternatively please contact our Volunteer Development Team on 029 2076 8323 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Whether you’re a volunteer, supporter, or staff member, we want everyone to feel welcome at Tenovus Cancer Care. We are committed to greater diversity across our people to make sure we have a breadth of experience, skills and perspective that reflects the communities we serve.
We are working to ensure that Tenovus Cancer Care is a fair and equitable place to volunteer. We strive to ensure everyone is treated fairly, regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy, maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), sexual orientation, religion, or belief, or because someone is married or in a civil partnership.