Why am I needed?
Community is at the heart of everything that we do at Tenovus Cancer Care to help those affected by cancer. Our aim is simple – to deliver a vision where fewer people get cancer and those that do receive equal access to excellent treatment. However, we can’t do this without your help. Our shops in local communities are crucial to us raising vital funds. So, we’d like you to volunteer your time and commitment to help us make a difference. We need you to help create exciting displays in our windows and in our shops to help turn clothes into cash.
What will I be doing?
- Creating visually inspiring displays in our windows and in our shops under the guidance of our shop management team
- Merchandising, displaying and maintaining high standards of presentation in the shop according to promotional activities and seasonal trends
- Maintaining high levels of shop standards, presentation and cleanliness
- Speaking with customers, making them welcome and answering queries
- Promoting awareness of the charity and the services that we provide.
What skills do I need?
- A strong interest in fashion and retail
- It’d be great if you have some knowledge of fashion, labels and trends
- A really keen eye for detail
- Ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with other members of the team and customers.
Many of the standard tasks within the shop involve standing or sitting for periods, handling bags and donations from the public and there may be stairs to climb depending on which shop you are based in. If you have any concerns about this, please speak with the Shop Manager when expressing your interest in volunteering.
How much time do I need to commit?
We’d need you to give around three hours per week if you can with the possibility to do more if you’d like to. However, we appreciate any time you’d like to give; please let us know this on your application form. All we ask is that you give the same hours each week and that you let us know as soon as you can if you’re not able to make it. This’ll help us to plan our week.
What support will I be given?
- Before starting with Tenovus Cancer Care, we ask that you do try a small number of hours in the shop so we can both see how the role may suit you. The amount of hours can be decided between you and the Shop Manager.
- Following that the Shop Manager and team will be on hand to run you through the basics of helping in a shop in your first few days and they’ll always be on hand after that.
- Becoming a volunteer with Tenovus Cancer Care can be a rewarding experience and is certainly invaluable to the charity and its goals.
What benefits can I expect?
- Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed in line with organisational policy
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re making a vital difference to the work of Tenovus Cancer Care, and in particular the people who access our unique services
- The opportunity to be creative and bring new ideas to the shop whilst developing your visual merchandising and retail skills
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
- Access to all internal vacancies
- Access to training
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of our Retail Team
- The chance to gain experience of helping Wales’ leading cancer charity.
Where will I be based?
You’ll be based within your local Tenovus Cancer Care shop.
How do I apply?
If you’re over eighteen years old and would like to apply please contact the Shop Manager in your local shop directly or alternatively please contact our Volunteer Development Team on 029 2076 8323 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.