Why am I needed?
Community is at the heart of everything we do at Tenovus Cancer Care and our shops in communities across Wales and England help raise money so that we can fund vital research and support cancer patients when they need it most.
Our amazing retail volunteers help make our work possible but we need more volunteers give just some of their time so that we can help even more people affected by cancer.
So why do it with us? Well, Michael does it with us to gain experience and build his CV but also as some of his family have been affected by cancer. Julie does it with us because the shop was local to her and because of the friends she’s made. Carol chose to do it with us because she missed being part of a team when she stopped working and also to give something back. For each of them it’s the friends they’ve made and the laughs they’ve had that bring them back each week!
What will I be doing?
We’ve got loads of volunteer roles in our shops. You can pick one from the list below or have a go at as many roles as you’d like:
- Customer Service Assistant
Welcoming people into the shop, serving customers on our tills, speaking with customers and sharing the amazing things we do.
- Donated Goods Collector
Picking up donations and dropping them to local Tenovus Cancer Care shops.
- Driver’s Mate
Helping our drivers to collect and deliver donations.
- Lead Retail Assistant
Helping to run the shop and keeping things running smoothly when the shop managers aren’t there.
- Shop Fundraising Assistant
Putting on events, raffles, coffee mornings and other creative fundraising activities in the shop.
- Stock Preparation Assistant
Sorting and preparing donations ready for displaying and selling on the shop floor.
- Visual Merchandising Assistant
Making sure the displays in our windows and shops always look amazing!
What skills do I need?
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Organised and efficient
- Basic numeracy skills
- It’d be great if you have some knowledge of fashion, labels and trends
- A keen eye for detail and good level of accuracy
- Able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
Many of the standard tasks within the shop involve standing or sitting, handling bags and donations from the public and there may be stairs to climb depending on which shop you are based in. If you have any concerns about this, please speak with the Shop Manager when expressing your interest in volunteering.
How much time do I need to commit?
Ideally you’ll be able to give around half a day per week with the opportunity to do more if you’d like to. However we appreciate any time you’d like to give; please note this on your application form.
What support will I be given?
- Before starting with Tenovus Cancer Care, we ask that you try a small number of hours in the shop so we can make sure you’re happy in the role. The amount of hours you volunteer is flexible and can be decided between you and the Shop Manager
- The Shop Manager and team will be on hand to run you through the basics of helping in a shop in your first few days, they will give you an induction and they will always be on hand after that.
What benefits can I expect?
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re making a vital difference to the work of Tenovus Cancer Care, and in particular the people who access our services
- The opportunity to be bring new ideas to the shop whilst developing your admin, retail and customer service skills
- Access to apply for all internal vacancies
- Access to training
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of our Retail Team
- Reasonable expenses can be reimbursed in line with organisational policy
- The chance to gain experience of helping Wales’ leading cancer charity.
Where will I be based?
You’ll be based within your local Tenovus Cancer Care shop.